Feb 14, 2012

celebrating a year of love and friendship

I think Google nailed it this year:

Valentine's Day is a day to reflect on how amazing my relationship with The Man is.  It's a day to celebrate how we have loved for the other 364 days of the year. 

Valentine's Day is not a day to make up for the other 364 days.  It's not about gifts for us, but for simply enjoying each other and recognizing what we have the whole year through.

Valentine's Day, at our house, is a family affair.  Every year we eat our dinner by candle light. This picture is from last year:
This picture is hilarious, it looks like we just lit the table on fire, but I guess that's what you get when you take pictures with your phone.

So in reflection of my relationship with West, here's a few highlights from the past year, on why I love him so much, and how I know he loves me.

Hands down, he makes me LAUGH.
Our favorite saying to tell each other is, "I will seduce you with my awkwardness."  We are clumsy at best and down right ridiculous at our worst and that's perfectly fine with us.

Our life truly is a giant adventure.  We support each other in interests that we share, but also in interests that we don't share.  We are there for each other.  He's my biggest fan.  And I am his. (Some of these pictures are blurry, I'm sorry, but I want to add them because we had such a great year together).
Jane Wayne Day
Seals in the cove in LaJolla, CA
Scuba Diving
I love the we can work on our house together.  The planning, the compromising, the work itself has been so much fun.  And it makes me feel like I belong in the house with him.
Bathroom remodel
When I was trying to get the job with Attorney General's Office he sent me this text.

He was there to be my photographer for my new running phase.
Dirty Dash

Halloween Half

And I've been there for his riding stints.
Sand Dunes

County Fair
I'm always saying it, but he's my best friend.  I do everything with him simply because I want to.


He eats cookie dough with me. 

He knows my favorite author, and even knows my birthday now :).

Whoville dinner

Our anniversary
West and I don't put a lot of pressure on Valentine's Day.  There are usually no gifts, no cards, no fancy dinners out.  And we're okay with that.  We smile because we know we love each other, and maybe we hug a little more (if that's even possible), and touch a little more (again, possible?) and perhaps we'll say "I love you" just one more time today...

We do have some exciting things happening today as a family.  Cas is having her 6th grade Valentine's dance.  She has to dance with 16 boys and has given me the okay to stop by to take a couple of pictures of it.

I might try to get a better picture of our candle light dinner tonight... one that doesn't look like we've just set the table on fire.

Oh, and I did break our general rule of no gifts and made West a blanket on my brand new sewing machine.  But I would have made him the blanket anyway, it was just convenient that Valentine's was right here, so I utilized the day to give it to him.

So we'll do one more post tonight after all the fun is to be had.  Because even though we don't put a lot of pressure on the day, doesn't mean that we're not doing fun things with it.

1 comment:

AudreyN said...

I feel the same way about Valentine's day. Great idea of eating by candle light :) Wonder if all my boys would let me do that! Happy valentine's day to you all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...